Sunday, November 5, 2017

Going there

The story wasn't working, and I couldn't figure out why. And then I realized: the two members of this broken relationship had to confront each other. All the main character's internal musings about the conflict would never be as productive, or as interesting, as her facing the other person and letting us see the conflict play out. Asking the questions she needed to ask; saying the things she needed to say. 

Backing away from conflict is one of my weaknesses as a writer, and I continually have to push myself to go there. Because that's where the story is.

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone in that, Jenn. I'm glad you figured out what you needed to do in order for the story to be more powerful. Whenever that epiphany happens for me, I have a moment of "Well, of course!" Or, less kindly, "Duh!"

    ReplyDelete