One great thing about writing nonfiction is that the people and places come already named. Naming fictional characters and places severely taxes me. The problem isn't just finding a suitable name, but finding a suitable name that also meets these criteria:
1) I didn't already use that name in a previous book
2) It's not the name of any family member, friend, or colleague
3) It's not the name of a celebrity, noted historical figure, notorious criminal, unsavory person, etc.
4) It's not too similar to any of the names of the other characters in the same book
5) It's not an unusual name that was just used recently in a more famous book, or has been used in a lot of recent YA already
It's not the name of a fictional place that's already part of some
other well-known world like Pokemon, Disney, Game of Thrones, Narnia,
etc., etc. (I may yet fail on this one; it seems like EVERY place name I
can invent has already been used by someone. Or else it is the name of a
Just wait until I get around to choosing a title. That is when I really get dramatic!