Friday, August 11, 2017

Listening

I haven't posted as frequently lately, and it's because I'm in a listening/reading phase. I go through times like this, when I am writing less and absorbing more. Reading a lot, thinking, preferring silence to speech. Feeling as if my ideas are half-formed, not ready for expression. I can feel them taking shape, but they're still lumps of raw dough rather than cookies. 

(I do love cooking/food metaphors for writing!)

August has always struck me as a meditative month, a good time to be in this frame of mind. The weather is warm and mellow, the days are still long, and the cicadas and crickets issue their endless waves of music.

4 comments:

  1. Good on you, Jenn, for taking the time to listen and absorb. I also like that cookie dough image! Just don't eat that raw cookie dough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never understood the supposed charms of raw cookie dough. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yet even as you write this short post, the magic of your words bake through to the reader. Trying my own cooking metaphor in comment form. I like the "cicadas and crickets issue their endless waves of music."

    I also enjoy reading a good book to see how the writer has set up her story. I sit and mull over what is written. Yes, Jennifer, I like the warmth of August, too.

    Oh, and I don't like eating raw cookie dough either, not even in ice cream!

    ReplyDelete