Monday, May 1, 2017

Writing weekend

I just had the good fortune of spending a weekend devoted totally to writing--and to walks on the beach during writing breaks. With such a sustained period of time, I was able to knock out a couple of short projects and wrestle with a longer project that has been bothering me for a while. I had hoped to open the draft of that latter project, which had been sitting untouched for a while, and find it ready for line editing. Instead, my first reaction was dismay. It still needs deep revision, fundamental construction, if it is going to work at all. I put it aside for an hour, in frustration. But then I turned back to it, and began marking the parts that I like, the sparks of life glowing here and there. I hope to use them to build a new version of--whatever this is. It's one of those story ideas that nags at me, that I try one way and another, that I pick up and put down in between other projects, that I hope to get right someday. It's the idea that won't go away but won't fully reveal itself either--so far.

I also had some good talks with the friend with whom I shared the weekend. It was wonderful to immerse myself completely in a writerly world. Now I'm back to the daily routine, with computer files and notebooks full of new words.

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you, Jennifer, a weekend devoted to writing and thinking and walking on the beach. Wow! I wish I could get one of those. And bravo to be able to complete some projects.

    Now, the good thing about this longer piece is that it keeps nagging at you. That means that it is meant to be written. You need to breathe, think, and free your mind. It will come to you. I am sure of it. You are a wonderful writer. If I can read anything for you and offer comments, just let me know. Again, bravo in moving forward with projects. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      And may you find your version of a beach weekend!

      Delete