Sunday, May 7, 2017

Writers aren't always solitary

On Friday I had the pleasure of seeing something I'd written interpreted and performed live by professional actors at the Rhythm and Verse Salon. It reminded me of the occasions on which something I've published has been accompanied by an illustration--getting to see the visual artist's play on my ideas, including the new and unexpected elements that another artist brings, always excited me. And so it was at the salon, where I got to see my words interpreted and presented in a new context, as one piece among many on the same theme ("Inclusion/Exclusion"). The evening also featured music and conversation.

While there, I met the founder of The Unexpected Poetry Project, who handed me a poem--one of the more than 12,000 she hands out each year, at random. Imagine bringing art so simply and directly to so many!

Yesterday I went to a reading by Martha Cooley at the Open Book bookstore, and heard a chapter of her new memoir, Guesswork: A Reckoning with Loss.

If art feeds our souls, then I am well fed. A nice respite, as I turn to another week of keeping up with the news and speaking out where I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment