Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Unpredictable

So far, 2017 is proving to be a year of change--in the larger world as well as in my own little world. And it looks as if more changes may lie ahead. (I can't quite tell yet--and uncertainty is another feature of 2017.) 

I've generally not been a fan of change nor uncertainty. I'm still not the most spontaneous, roll-with-it person around, although I'm maybe a bit more flexible than I used to be. 

With change comes new possibilities. In the past, I always had trouble believing that the new ones would be better than the old possibilities. In reality, there's usually a mix of better and worse. Some of the best things in my life came after I'd let go of earlier circumstances.

When I write, I can make things come out the way I want them to, or at least the way I think they should have. Although even there, I find surprises. In life, I just hold my breath and turn the corner and see what's there.

4 comments:

  1. It's funny, but I am lots more willing to let my stories surprise me than I am my daily life.

    Wishing you peace as you navigate the change and uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too!
      Thanks--peace to you as well. And may any surprises be pleasant ones.

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, kind of change-resistant. But I just did a psychological test for my protagonist who has a very different attitude and psychological profile from mine. He is impulsive, spontaneous, good with improvising. It's quite a revelation to see things through his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the interesting things about writing is how it gives us the chance to explore lives and personalities different from our own.

      Delete