Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Trust the story

One of the little scraps of paper I have kept around my writing desk for inspiration says, "Trust the story." That's to remind me where to look when I need the perfect ending, or climax, or when I don't know how to connect a couple of essential scenes, or when I'm floundering. That's to remind me to go back to the story itself, the theme, the characters' goals, the point I'm trying to make, the reason I started writing the story in the first place. Often the key is already there, and I just have to recognize it.

5 comments:

  1. Yes! Exactly! And this is one of the coolest things about being a novelist, I think. Because when it clicks back in, it's magic and very, very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost feels like we know what we're doing. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yes! Exactly! And this is one of the coolest things about being a novelist, I think. Because when it clicks back in, it's magic and very, very satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent point. More often that not, when we get stuck, it's because we took a wrong turn, off the course initially set when we started. Or alternately, we tried to force a character to behave in ways contrary to their natures. Looking back, reconnecting, that's often the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the story feels richer, more layered, when there are interconnections between the elements rather than stray threads zooming in from elsewhere.

      Delete