Thursday, October 13, 2016

Notes

Today I wrote myself a note. When I stumbled across it just a few hours later, I'd forgotten it so totally that it was as if an alien had written it. What note was this? What was it about? What was that word--potato? Why was I writing a note about a potato?

After a minute or so, I not only deciphered it but remembered the context, and had a good laugh. The word I misread as "potato" was "portable," and the note was about an email I had wanted to send someone. I had sent the email, and so my brain apparently decided not to waste any more energy on the note.

When I look over old journal entries, they bring to mind things I would otherwise forget. Writing is, among other things, a way of remembering. We change, we forget, and so much is fleeting. So I pin a moment in place with words, capture a memory, and then I have it for good. As long as I don't make my words too cryptic, or too illegible!

2 comments:

  1. My problem is that my handwriting is so illegible that I wouldn't even have gotten as close as you did with potato and portable. But I like what you said about writing as capturing a moment in time, a belief, a feeling. This is why I write as well, Jennifer. All the best, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your writing is going well. And legibly! ;-)

      Delete