Friday, July 29, 2016

Summer afternoons

A couple of years ago, I started a summer-afternoon tradition: reading on the porch for an hour.

I'm technically too busy for this. I never run out of things to do, and if I didn't make time for this by putting off something else, it wouldn't happen.

But I decided I was tired of watching golden afternoons pass unsavored, tired of seeing my front and back porches go unused, tired of never stopping to enjoy the beautiful place where I live.

So I began setting aside this hour on weekend afternoons whenever it's warm enough to be outside. And it's been wonderful.

Time slows. I sit and read. I look up from my book to enjoy the sight of leaves waving in the breeze. I hear the wind chimes, the birds, the cicadas, the squirrel that scolds my cat. I sip some cool water. I catch the scent of pine needles or lilacs or holly flowers, depending on the month.

It's the simplest of simple pleasures. It costs nothing. It's one of my favorite parts of the weekend.

Happy reading.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this reminder, Jennifer. I think it's my late mother's voice in my head that urges me to mop the kitchen floor rather than feed my writer head by reading. Plus, the nature connection you describe is so important. My most productive plot/character ideas come after walking the woods.

    It's been nice to connect with you on Twitter, but I especially like the quieter spaces on journals and blogs where ideas can be expressed in more than 140 characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's one thing I have learned, it is that the kitchen floor will wait.
      I have always made time for walks (after all, that's exercise!), but just sitting down in the middle of the day felt harder to justify. Then I realized it's my life, and each day only comes once!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this reminder, Jennifer. I think it's my late mother's voice in my head that urges me to mop the kitchen floor rather than feed my writer head by reading. Plus, the nature connection you describe is so important. My most productive plot/character ideas come after walking the woods.

    It's been nice to connect with you on Twitter, but I especially like the quieter spaces on journals and blogs where ideas can be expressed in more than 140 characters.

    ReplyDelete