Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Letting go

One of my themes over the past year or two has been letting go. Letting go of excess possessions, of one-sided relationships, of illusions of how life is "supposed" to go, of expectations about my writing career, of youth and the energy and quick physical healing that went with it, of books I don't want to finish after all, of papers that are not so important as they once seemed, of certain fears and worries, of beloved people lost too soon, of bucket-list items that have lost their appeal, of a heap of intimidated self-consciousness (good riddance!), and much more. Some of it drifted away with much regret; some of it I shed eagerly.

Writing is still here, though. I need breaks from it, and I took a long one last year, but in the long run it seems to circle back to me.

4 comments:

  1. It's funny that you mention one-sided relationships because I was referring to just that in my recent blog post. I think that letting go of things can be a freeing experience. Unfortunately, sometimes I let go of things, but those things have a way of finding themselves back to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A small percentage of the time, I find that something I planned to let go of has life left in it, and there's a new beginning or a continuation. But most of the time, I realize I hung on too long as it was.

      Delete
  2. But ladies, sometimes when things are cast aside--living things, that is--and they seek you out and return. Those are the things that were meant to be. Oh and Jennifer, I believe your writing is a living thing. And as such is meant to be. All the best, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness!
      Yes, sometimes we just need breaks, not permanent endings.

      Delete