Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Procrastination, or rest?

I've long held that goofing off, time wasting, and procrastination may not be all bad. They may have a worthy purpose. There's something about those times when the mind is engaged in something light, frivolous, or easy that allows us to rest, or think, or plan. There's something about idle or semi-idle moments that kicks the creative mind into gear, behind the scenes.

Like anything, goofing off can be carried too far. But we're not robots who can fill every moment of every day with productive activity. Maybe the reason the brain often leads us down these distracting little side paths is that we need some distracting little side paths.

2 comments:

  1. I get a lot of my ideas for stuff when I'm "goofing off." I actually feel that being constantly productive can be a bit unhealthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's especially important for creative pursuits, to have that down time.

      Delete