Friday, February 26, 2016

Rethinking the list

Ah, the to-do list. It's the staple of my life. It's the plan I follow to get me through the day, to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.

I love crossing things off, and it's a source of great satisfaction when I finish a list, or at least the most critical things on it. The non-critical things I didn't get to go on the next day's list.

It's so organized! So controlled! So efficient! So ... list-y!

The trouble I have is when I add new activities to my life. (Or when I have new activities imposed on me, such as "doing the taxes" this time of year, or doctors' appointments, or running out to buy new sneakers because the old ones are falling apart.) For a brief time, I delude myself that I can still do everything. And then the mound of items I push from one day to the next, the growing pile of the undone, forces me to face reality.

Choices, choices. I've talked a lot on this blog about letting go, and I have let go of a lot. But there is still more. There are still choices to be made, things to be put aside.

It's okay not to do everything. It's amazing how often I must remind myself of that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment