Sunday, January 24, 2016

Making room

I continued some decluttering this weekend by reviewing my TBR list. This is distinct from my TBR pile, which is a stack (OK, technically it's multiple stacks) of books I already own and do want to read, but--later. Either I'm not in the mood for them right now, or I'm already reading something else.

The TBR list is a list of books I want to read, but that I will have to buy or borrow. I have a notation for each book: available in my library's system, or not? If it's not in the library system, I'll have to buy it. When I'm ready to get new library books, or to make a trip to the bookstore, I consult this list.

The list has more than 250 books on it. At the rate I've been reading, that's almost three years' worth, and I keep adding to it. And, of course, there is the TBR pile here at home, and the books I receive as gifts, and my rereading habit.

So I've started weeding that list. I'm letting go of books that I added impulsively, those that are not in my library's system and for which I can't even find a sample online to tell me whether they're worth buying, and those that I want to want to read more than I actually want to read them (if you can follow that).

The books on this list may not have been taking up any physical space, but they were taking up some mental energy, even if just a small amount. I continue my quest to free up space, and time, and energy.

2 comments:

  1. IT is amazing to me that I can go from feeling like there's nothing I want to read to the opposite spectrum--feeling like all the books I have listed to read are pressing down on me from the list. That's usually when I go pick up an Agatha Christie.

    I went back on Goodreads recently just so I would have a good, easy place to keep track of the Want-to-reads. And, yes, that list is getting longer and longer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's actually a good problem to have ... an abundance of books!

      Delete