Thursday, December 10, 2015

Cleaning house

For a long time now, I haven't made a big deal about the turn of the year. January 1 never brought many changes, and I didn't want to add resolutions to my overcrowded schedule. For several years, my only resolution was to try to do less, to slow down, in the new year.

2015 has been a year of changes--to be honest, most of them unwelcome. It's been a year of letting go of many things, including expectations.

But the upside of that is that there's now room for new things in my life. I'm thinking about 2016, about writing goals and personal goals. Not in a to-do list way, not in a way that will instantly fill my schedule back up. I'm thinking about what else I'll be letting go of, and what new things I'll be trying. I'm checking my priorities.

Mostly, I just want to face 2016 with a spirit of openness, willingness. I don't want to plan everything out now; I just want to be available for opportunities as they come. I want to continue to make room for what matters most.

What are you looking forward to in the new year?

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to simply writing for myself again. For the passed few years, I've been so outward oriented, that I found my self-perceived lack of progress disappointing. In 2016, I will write for myself first, then maybe others will want to read it too down the line.

    Happy holidays, Jenn and wishing you a great 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can be such a challenge, to balance the inward and outward. Keeping in touch with the inner wellspring is so important.
      Happy holidays to you as well, and a marvelous 2016!

      Delete