Thursday, November 5, 2015

Thankful Thursday: writer's edition

I'm honored to be featured on Jody Casella's blog today, talking about my latest book. A sample from the post: "I found that the most difficult part of being an author was not creating stories, difficult as that was. It was staying emotionally grounded. It was having the self-confidence to keep writing."

And I'm honored that this book is featured in the SCBWI Bulletin, courtesy of Cynthia (of the blog "Read is the New Black"), who reviewed Loner in the Garret.

LonerintheGarret_Ebook.jpg

It's especially nice because Loner in the Garret is about finding emotional support in this solitary pursuit called writing, and in the fickle business of publishing. This book was based on the kinds of encouraging messages I exchange with writer friends. I'm lucky to have this community.

Speaking of community: if you're anywhere near Haverford, PA, then stop by the Author/Illustrator Night at Children's Book World (17 Haverford Station Road) on Friday, November 6, at 8 PM. There will be more than two dozen writers and illustrators, mingling with readers in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for mentioning my blog! =) I agree that a big part of being able to get through the writing process is to be able to get emotional support. Many years ago, I wrote without having many writer friends or acquaintances. Since then, I've made the effort to get to know more writers and as well as people who have creative interests. This has made a huge difference in reshaping my outlook of what the writing journey is about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure!
      Yes, community is vital. Although--or maybe because--this is a solitary profession.

      Delete
  3. I saw you at Children's Book World last night. It was a bit too crowded around you to pop by and say hello, but I just wanted to thank you for the heads up about the great event. If you come again next year maybe I'll have a chance to actually say hello in person. I got to talk to so many great people. What a great event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you went and enjoyed it! They do it every November and it's a great tradition.
      I would have been happy to say hello--the people I was talking to were all very friendly and enjoy meeting fellow book lovers. Next time, yes, do feel free to say hi!

      Delete