Saturday, May 16, 2015

Not-enoughness

In reading a back issue of Tin House, I came across this sentence in a review by Luis Jaramillo:

"It's amazing how persistent the feeling of not-enoughness can be."

Amazing indeed: we see the fruits of it everywhere. In the people who puff up and become too aggressive, who overcompensate. In the people whose talent we admire like crazy, but who shrink from putting themselves out there. In the people who keep grasping without asking what they really need. In the various little voices that war inside us about whether we can do what we are trying to do.

Not-enoughness keeps us seeking, keeps us striving, gives us goals. It can keep us humble. It can give us a reason to get up in the morning. But every now and then, I like to take a pause to say, Right now, in this moment, I have enough. I am enough.

4 comments:

  1. I guess the opposite would be called complacency. Can't have that now, can we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the writing life is designed to keep one from getting complacent. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I definitely struggle with this! Sometimes I feel like I will never be as brilliant a writer as I want to be. But for sure, it's important to acknowledge our talent and enoughness in the present as well.

    ReplyDelete