Thursday, April 9, 2015

"'The time has come,' the walrus said, 'to talk of many things ...'"

I've been visiting--visiting other people's blogs, that is.

When Kurtis Scaletta announced his intention to run a series of blog posts on the topic of failure, I volunteered because it's a subject I've spent a fair amount of time pondering. (To find out more about why he chose that topic, and to see the call for guest bloggers, follow that link.) Here's a sample from my own guest post: "... we love the narrative of failure as a precursor to success; we love an earned happy ending. We love when the earlier pain proves to have purpose and meaning. But we don’t think of success as temporary. Once we’ve arrived, we don’t expect to get kicked out of the party. ..."

I also stopped by Jon Gibbs's blog to discuss my new book, Loner in the Garret: A Writer's Companion. (Which discusses failure, and success, and every other topic I could think of that relates to the crazy business of writing.)

Incidentally, if you don't already know Jon's blog, it's a good one to check out. He puts together a weekly roundup of posts about writing and publishing, and he's the force behind the New Jersey Authors Network and Find a Writing Group, in addition to being an author of middle-grade novels.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to come by for like...months! My life seems to be set to speed high and I blame it on my poor time management skills. Anyway congrats on the new book. I read about it on Yvonne Ventresca's blog. I'll have to check out what Kurtis is up to. Sounds like a topic I could wax poetic on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, the failure posts are really good so far.
      I've been enjoying your Burma/Myanmar posts.

      Delete