Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The surprises of adulthood

When you're growing up, you have certain expectations about what life (and you) will be like in adulthood.

And then reality happens.


Things that have surprised me about being an adult:

--You still have homework. It just comes in the form of bills, tax forms, insurance forms, etc.

--You reach the age of daily medication and pill-sorting containers sooner than you think you will.

--You really do say those same phrases your parents said. You know, the ones you swore you would never say yourself?

--A lot of adult privileges lose their luster once you actually reach them, so I thought all of them would. But it still is great to have a piece of candy when you want and not answer to anyone about it. (Or as Jerry Seinfeld once said, "If I want a cookie, I have a cookie.")

--It's also great not to be in school anymore, and to be able to go to the rest room any time you need to, rather than waiting for a bell to ring.

--At a certain age, your kids have a more active social life than you do. Your weekends are ruled not by your own plans, but by whether they have a soccer game / birthday party / standardized test.

--Emotions play a much bigger role, and facts play a much smaller role, in how the world works than you would've expected.

--When people from your generation start to hold many of the positions of political and corporate power, it's kind of scary, because those are your peers!

--It's best to start saving for retirement as soon as you start working.

--Ages that you once thought of as "old" don't feel that old when you get to them.

--You still think, "Someday I will catch up on things."

--You change your mind about some of the things on your bucket list. You realize you'll never do those things not because there isn't time, but because you don't really want to do them.

2 comments:

  1. I JUST bought my first pill sorter. But I'm justifying it as a travel need--so i don't have to bring all the jars of (MOSTLY) vitamins! Still, it's going to feel weird pulling it out and actually using it.

    And the not feeling old. My son just went to college and I still feel like I'm much too young for that to have happened. And yet I'm about 10 years older than my mom was when I left, and she seemed...yes, VERY old then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it's funny how our own milestones seem "younger" than our parents', even if the chronological ages say otherwise. For example, I remember my mother going to her 20th high school reunion, which I thought of then as practically old age. When I reached my own 20th, I realized how young 38 really is!

      Delete