Sunday, February 8, 2015

Progress report

I find that approaching writing as a craft requires a constant balancing of external and internal voices. In the past year or two, the external voices were very strong, sometimes to the point where I could not write at all.

I had to find my way back to the inner wellspring that makes me want to write in the first place. There are other ways I could be spending my time; if I choose to spend it this way, then what is it I really need to say? What story do I feel an urgent need to deliver?

Since last summer, that has (once again) been my main goal in my writing: to tell the stories I need to tell. As John O'Donohue would put it, to "do at last what I came here for." Or as Martha Graham puts it, "It is not your business to determine how good [your art] is nor how valuable it is nor how it compares with other expressions. it is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open."

It's probably not coincidental that my enthusiasm for sitting down at the writing desk, and my overall happiness, have been on the upswing ever since.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to read this, Jenn! May the wellspring be bubbling over with the thoughts you need to finish your next work.

    ReplyDelete