Thursday, January 22, 2015

Weeding books

My decluttering project continues, and I've been weeding books.

Books are tough, because I like so many of them. I value them. But my new test is not whether I liked a book when I read it, but whether I ever plan to read it again. I reread a lot, but this has helped me thin the ranks a bit. There are books I enjoyed at the time, but that I don't need to hang onto anymore. They should go off to bring joy (or enlightenment) to new readers.

I'm also trying to be realistic about my TBR pile, which currently contains about 50 books. How many of these will I actually read? Should I give up on those classics? Will I ever be in the mood for that novel? Am I still interested in that nonfiction topic? The book that everyone raved about but that I fear will be too depressing--am I ever going to brave it?

It's safe to say that I will still have a lot of books at the end of this process. That's all right. It would be nice to have them all fit onto the existing shelves, though, eliminating my need to pile them on the floor. It would be nice to have space for new books.

No comments:

Post a Comment