Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Thinking about what matters

Some of you who started following this blog as a writer's journal may be wondering what the heck I am doing lately, blogging so much about decluttering and simplifying, but I suspect that most readers either see or trust in an underlying connection. Letting go of physical stuff is also a metaphor for letting go of other baggage: mental, emotional, psychological. It can be a metaphor for revising, deleting. It's also about accepting that certain plans haven't worked out, that some goals will have to change.

I'm not yet ready to talk about exactly how this is playing out in my writing life, mostly because new plans and goals are still tentative, still being figured out. But in some reading I was doing last night, I came across these lines which especially spoke to me:

"I don't need to fill my life with more stuff. I need to think about what matters to me."
--from Traveling on Grace Street, by Jeff Blake

6 comments:

  1. I understand. I've held onto certain material items for a long time because of a complicated emotion or two that ties me to them. Sometimes I think I am doing this because I'm hoping that someday, when I look at these items, it'd mean something else to me other than what it means to me now. I want to have these items still as future triggers that something in me has changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we hold onto things for a reason. For a long time, it was probably right for me to keep the things I've kept. And now something has shifted, which allows me to let go.

      Delete
  2. That quote speaks to me quite deeply! I learned some valuable lessons last summer when I decluttered. I think I'm ready to declutter even more this coming spring, so we'll see. It has certainly played a part in the choices I've made the past six months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm finding that "letting go" is playing out on many levels, not just that of physical possessions.

      Delete