Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I thought I was going someplace else

Letting go is not only a process of discarding objects, but of shedding expectations and illusions. When things don't turn out as we expect, when the path takes an unexpected hairpin turn--what then?

We can keep aiming for the original destination, even if it means fighting through the nettles and vines and trenches.

Or we can let go of the original destination (for at least a while, maybe longer), and follow the road to see where it is going.

6 comments:

  1. For me, having objectives can be helpful because these big picture (or small picture) North stars keep me on track (somewhat) or they help me stay aware of what the track is supposed to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the new path takes you to a place better than the original. Always cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mieke. It's interesting, if nothing else!

      Delete
  3. I'm in the process of letting go of my original destination. It has been one of the hardest things of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I'm in a similar place, and I think it takes a good long while to work through the process.

      Delete