Thursday, December 11, 2014

The writing space

Jenny Gordon writes of redecorating her writing room to make it more conducive to writing. "Our writing spaces are precious. ... We are invoking magic when we tap into our well of creativity, and we need to create our sacred space in which to do that."

I can write almost anywhere when I have to, but my favorite place to write is in my home office. These are the comforts that make it welcoming:

--Stereo next to me, for music. Or I can click open iTunes on my computer.

--Chocolate supply in desk drawer.

--Bookcases full of books.

--A window right in front of my desk. Some people advise against such a setup, saying that the window is too distracting. I love having the window here. I can see the weather, the change of the seasons, some birds and squirrels. (Once a bat even roosted on my window screen.) When I have to look away from my computer to think for a minute, I have something to look at. Yet it's not overly distracting, since the view is mostly of tree branches.

--A bed. Handy for putting stuff on top of, and for lounging with a book when the day's writing is done.

--Posters. I have several and can change them around. Right now I have a mountain view on one wall and a vase of flowers on the other.

This is the room where I've written all three of my published books. When my husband and I first started house-shopping, I told him that one of my requirements was to have a writing space of my own. This is one of my favorite places.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds lovely! I have bookcases in mine too. No bed, though I'd love a comfy chair in the corner, if it were a big enough room that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A writing office should be comfortable, welcoming, methinks. And books set the perfect ambience.

      Delete
  2. The bed in the writing office sounds heavenly. Right now, my usual writing space is now a staging area for the Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I'd do without a writing space of my own. I could never use Starbucks like some writers say they do.

    I also love having loaded bookcases nearby. They comfort me. If they can do it, so can I. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably write in a Starbucks if I had to. But this is my home base; this is where I'm grounded.

      I get similar inspiration from my bookshelves!

      Delete
  4. I love my writing space, too. I was lucky--my husband and I used to share a very small office, which was okay. Then we found the house we wanted to buy, and my husband wanted the go-outside-walk-around-the-house-down-some-stairs-and-through-another-door space and asked if I wanted the dining room space for mine. Dining room? Who needs a dining room. Yes, to lots of windows and shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had my husband not brought a dining-room table to our marriage, our dining room would probably be a library. ;-)

      Delete