Monday, September 1, 2014

New roads

One of the hardest things for me to believe is that endings are followed by new beginnings. All my life, I have been an opponent of change, a nostalgic, a person who clings to things. I never assume that newer will be better.

There is some basis for this, of course. Plenty of change in this world is for the worse, and much of it seems to be pointless: change for the sake of change. But there are changes for the better. And some of the things I value most in my life right now are things I would not have if I had not let go (sometimes voluntarily, sometimes not) of what I used to have.

Over time, I've become a little more accepting of change. I've gotten a lot more willing to part with material objects, and have been doing an ongoing downsizing/decluttering project at home. But I still have a hard time trusting that a situation that has stopped working for me can be replaced by something better.

In hindsight, it's easy to see the turns I should have taken sooner, or with less trepidation. But when the turn is in front of you and you can't see around the bend, it's impossible to know whether a dead end or a beautiful new scene lies ahead.

Eventually, the choice is whether to sit staring at the washed-out bridge on the old route, or whether to try a new road. I keep reminding myself there are new roads, for all that I get focused on the most familiar one.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you feel this too, but doesn't this year feel like all our familiar paths seem so washed away and treacherous? Sometimes life just forces us to find a new path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been in the midst of a lot of change, so I really feel what you're talking about here. Thank you for this reminder that there are new roads. For a long time, I honestly thought there weren't, so it's good to know I'm not the only one who got stuck in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are. And I wish you happy travels on them!

      Delete