Monday, August 4, 2014

On (not) sharing works in progress

"That's why I make a point of never showing pictures I'm working on to anybody because if a person likes it too much, I'm disturbed and if a person doesn't like it, I am also disturbed, because somehow that will freeze it and I wouldn't dare go on with it. Either I want to destroy it or else I think it's so good that I don't want to touch it. And that's the beginning of the end."
--Andrew Wyeth, in Two Worlds of Andrew Wyeth: Kuerners and Olsons, Metropolitan Museum of Art

He was a painter. But this can apply to many kinds of artists.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Not universally true, I know--some people thrive on early feedback. But many of us need to play it close to the vest.

      Delete
  2. I too am a play it close to the vest....took me a while to get to that point, thinking I should be able to share early on. But early on shares froze me up!

    ReplyDelete