Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Articulating it

"A writer doesn't often tell a reader anything the reader doesn't already know or suspect. The best the writer can do is put the idea in words and by doing that make the reader aware that he or she isn't the only one who knows it. ... The fact is, there really isn't anything new in the world and what I've always hoped to do with my writing is to say, in so many words, some of the ideas that lurk, wordlessly, in the minds of a great many people."
--Andrew A. Rooney, Not That You Asked

4 comments:

  1. Every so often, I'll read a line or passage that does just this. I always highlight those for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often end up quoting them on my blog. :-)

      Delete
  2. And when you get that "yes, I feel that!" moment, that's when you get a deep connection with that book.

    ReplyDelete