Sunday, March 16, 2014

Gas or brake

Writers talk about procrastination as one of our big problems, but impatience can be another. I've seen and experienced both problems. Sometimes we dally over the same story, making only the smallest changes, afraid to send it out. Other times we slap a cover letter on a second draft and shoot it out the door. We say no when we need to say yes; yes when a no would serve us better.

It's a question of knowing when to use the accelerator and when to use the brake. In a car, we need both ... and I'm seeing that a writing career needs both, too.

I've been using the brake lately, slowing down to figure out where I am. I figure there's no point in speeding down a road if it's headed in the wrong direction.

Which do you need more right now: accelerator or brake?

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should step on the gas. I've been swamped with life for a few months and just now feeling as if I'm able to keep up with anything.

    Thanks for stopping in at The Write Game. It has been a long stretch between our visits to each other. And, of course, I "got" your humor in that comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read far more often than I comment. But I couldn't resist a little joke!

      Good luck accelerating ...

      Delete
  3. SO true. I usually do the opposite of whatever I should do. I think I need the accelerator now, though... I'm polishing up what I think is really awesome, and even though I'm scared to jump on the query train again, it's just about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always at least a little bit scary, but that's part of the game. If you believe in it, go for it! :-)

      Delete
  4. I feel like I need a bit of both. The accelerator to get me started, but then some braking (or maybe just popping it into neutral on a slight downhill) to let me spend the "quality time" and figure out the next changes to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a race, so you're allowed to vary the pace. :-)

      Delete