Saturday, February 22, 2014

The community

There's a lot of talk about the internet and social media as sources of writers' procrastination. And they certainly can be that.

But I realized, the other day when I had skipped several sessions of blog-reading, that I felt disconnected from my community. That I missed it, and felt isolated as a writer. And I began to see what purpose social media serve for me.

When I first started writing, I didn't know any other writers. I felt very isolated, and floundered on occasion. Most of the writers I know now, I met through social media. I do know some local writers with whom I get together in person, but our day-to-day keeping in touch is still done online.

Social media serve as my water cooler. They remind me that there are other writers out there, plugging away, even as I am. They reassure me that none of those other writers find this to be a particularly easy job. We exchange notes of encouragement, answer one another's questions ("What's D&A?" "Have you seen any books out there written in 2nd person?" "Have you worked with this editor before?"), celebrate and commiserate with one another. Nobody demands a progress report from me, but just by being in touch with this world, I'm further motivated to put in my daily words. I actually write more now than I did before I had an internet connection.

Social media are also a way for readers to reach me. There are readers who have found me that way, and I'm glad when they do. They give me hope that someone besides me will care when I find a way to finish whatever story I'm grappling with.

If you're reading this, you're part of that community. So, thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting me be part of your s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often wanted to quit social media altogether, but I've come to realize that it does have its positives. Being able to reach you is one of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always the people we wouldn't want to lose track of, to keep us here. :-)

      Delete
  3. I didn't know many other fiction writers either until these recent years. It makes a huge difference.

    Speaking of blogs, thanks for stopping by mine today. Your comment and that of other authors helped me see that it's okay to aim high and daydream about stuff.

    ReplyDelete