Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Listening

I've been saying less online recently because I'm in one of those phases where I have turned inward. I'm reading a lot, listening a lot, and especially digging into a story. This story is the thing I'm listening to most of all. Where does it need to go? Will it come together?

I tend to find the answers to story problems within the story. External sources can guide or inspire me, but the line I need to follow has to be within the story already; I just have to find the natural extension of it. Anything I impose from the outside looks pasted-on, forced.

However, finding that loose end and recognizing the proper angle of the continuing line is more difficult than one would imagine.

So mostly, at the moment, I'm listening.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll just sit here quietly and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We writers spend a lot of time waiting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, i always love the way you describe some of your writing process! I've turned inward lately, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--and I think it is common, even necessary, for many writers to go through such times.

      Delete