Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A quiet week

I caught a glimpse of some commercial tie-in with Catching Fire that referred to the rewards of the victors, or how great it is to be a victor, or something like that. Which made me groan. I haven't seen the movies and really hope they're not painting the Hunger Games that way, as a cool competition that is great to win. Spoiler alert, but the point of The Hunger Games series is that nobody wins the Hunger Games! Even those who "win." We might begin to suspect this when we first meet Haymitch, but the victors we meet in Catching Fire--with their collective misery, anger, and fear--leave no doubt. And the trilogy is not about a battle between good people and evil people ... as we learn, the rebels are just as capable as the Capital of torturing prisoners, sacrificing innocent young people, and picking corrupt leaders. The good-evil battle is within us, not outside us.

Anyhoo, climbing off the soapbox now! One of my favorite holidays is coming up; Thursday is Thanksgiving in the US. I'm looking forward to this day of rest, quiet, and blessing-counting. I really do have so much to be thankful for. I hope you do, too. :-)

6 comments:

  1. 'Twas an interesting soapbox! It cracks me up when I go into my local CVS, they have a makeup stand for Catching Fire, w/the models all crazy looking like those from the Capital. I'm hoping to catch the movie this weekend w/the hubby- if I can talk him into it! Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The previews I've seen for Catching Fire actually look surprisingly like the way I pictured that world in my head. I hear they have actually done a good job with the movies, even if some of the tie-ins leave us scratching our heads.
      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Jenn. Enjoy the peace and quiet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did a very good job with the movie. I think it's the marketing people behind the tie-ins that didn't get a clearer picture of what the true sentiments of the book meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected as much!
      It reminds me of the time I heard a coal company using the song "16 Tons" as background for one of their commercials. I assumed nobody who made the commercial had actually listened to the lyrics!

      Delete