Saturday, October 19, 2013

The cozy season

It's a cloudy, chilly fall day. I made a stew tonight for dinner (lentil stew, to be exact), which is one of the ways I mark this season.

At this time of year, when we're losing light from both ends of the day, when the air turns cold and the plants die or go dormant, I always feel a pulling inward. It's time to go indoors and gather around the hearth. (Well, we don't actually have a hearth, but our cat does plant himself right on top of one of the heating vents.)

The cold and the dark make it harder and harder to get out of bed. There will be no more reading on the porch until next spring.

I tell myself it's a good time to write. All this turning inward; all this indoor weather.

4 comments:

  1. This is my favorite season for just about everything I do. Writing, cooking, knitting. Everything to warm the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not my favorite season, but it has its compensations. :-)

      Delete
  2. You've hit on good thing about winter. I do seem to get a lot more writing done in the cold months. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold weather is new, so I'm still enjoying its bonuses, and not sick of it yet the way I will be in January!

      Delete