Sunday, October 13, 2013

Breathing room

These recent posts all made me say, "Yes!!" so I thought I would share them with you. It occurs to me that they're all about giving ourselves a break. Letting ourselves rest, and acknowledging that life's challenges can be tough. We don't have to charge relentlessly forward, always wearing the brave and happy and productive face.

"Taking a break" by Kathleen McCleary on Writer Unboxed. A sample: "But it wasn’t until recently ... that I understood something elemental about writing: It’s equally important to not write. At all. For an extended period of time."

Natalie Whipple on dealing with bad days. A sample: " So I want to talk about what you do when you're having a bad day. Or maybe even several bad days in a row. Or a whole month. Or even more. Because if you're a writer, chances are you'll have bad days ... Writing is special like that—able to bring both the greatest joy and deepest sorrow."

Julie Owsik Ackerman acknowledges that it's okay to be sad. A sample: "It’s okay to be overwhelmed. It’s okay to be guilty and unsure. The more I accept these feelings, welcome them even, explore them with curiosity, the less scary they are, the less they rule my life, the more I’m free to enjoy the good."

No comments:

Post a Comment