Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Carpe diem

"Live every day as if it's your last" is a nice sentiment, but I've always found it impossible to do. If I followed that credo, I would never go to the doctor, clean my house*, eat healthily, sleep, fill out tax forms, or do one single thing I didn't want to do. Living each day as my last might kill me.

How we spend our time is very much affected by what we believe we have to plan for.

And of course, we don't know the future, so life becomes a balancing act. We do a certain amount of responsible, building-for-the-future work, and a certain amount of heck-with-it, the-sun-is-shining play. And a certain amount of vegetative staring at the wall in preparation for all those other busy days.

I was thinking today that as long as I do all three--work, play, and rest--I don't think of any of it as wasted time.



*I do little enough of that as it is. Twice a year,** whether it needs it or not!
**"Twice a year" is hyperbole. But only just barely.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent point!! That saying makes a fine motivational poster but someone still has to feed the dog, do the groceries, get the car registered, mow the lawn, run the kids to sports practice, pay bills, earn an income to pay those bills ... etc etc ad infinitum.

    Plus there's a world of books to read out there!

    ReplyDelete