Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Starfish

This, from Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea, really spoke to me (and speaks for me):

"We are asked today to feel compassionately for everyone in the world; to digest intellectually all the information spread out in public print; and to implement in action every ethical impulse aroused by our hearts and minds. The interrelatedness of the world links us constantly with more people ... It is good, I think, for our hearts, our minds, our imaginations to be stretched, but body, nerve, endurance and life-span are not as elastic. My life cannot implement in action the demands of all the people to whom my heart responds. ... We were brought up in a tradition that has now become impossible, for we have extended our circle throughout space and time."

And she wrote that before the internet brought the world to our fingertips!

I grapple, often guiltily, with the reality that I cannot read every story that matters; cannot give to every worthy charity whose aims I support; cannot feed every hungry person. I cannot learn about every subject that interests me and cannot even inform myself, as a citizen, as deeply as I would like about every single issue I think I should know about. I could work 24/7 and never satisfy the tiniest fraction of the "shoulds," "ought to's," and, "want to's."

I must do what I can for the people and the causes in front of me. I do my best.

Which reminds me of this starfish story. As in: There are so many starfish, but at least I'll reach the ones I can.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, well said, from Anne and from you. I get so very overwhelmed. This helps a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's too much for any one person to do, so we do what we can.

      Delete