Saturday, June 29, 2013

Treasure hunting

Today my husband and I went treasure-hunting, also known as shopping at used bookstores.

Among my finds:

A hardbound biography of May Sarton;

An illustrated edition of Little House on the Prairie (because the one I already have has several blank pages due to a printing error, so I've long meant to replace it);

A book about traveling in India;

A paperback of The Cat Ate My Gymsuit to replace my decrepit, falling-apart version;

A beautiful hardcover edition of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift from the Sea:
giftfromsea
(It has this cover, only it's not the large-print edition).
It's inscribed from one woman to another, and I am free to wonder who they were and what the book meant to them.

We also bought a few other items, and the total for 9 books and 2 movies came to about $20. Now you know why I call it a treasure hunt.

I do love new books, and buy from "first-run" bookstores all the time. But there's something special about wandering through stacks of old, out-of-print books, wondering what you'll find. Puzzling over old inscriptions. Finding editions that are no longer produced. Exploring cubbyholes, and admiring old woodwork, and discovering a book that you've long wanted, and chancing upon a book you've never heard of but want to try, and petting the bookstore cat. It's still an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment