Sunday, June 9, 2013

Return of the fireflies

The fireflies are back.

My desk faces a window. On summer nights, fireflies seem to be attracted to the light in my writing office, or maybe the lights on the computer.

They crawl up the window screen, blinking. So far, my computer has not responded with a pledge of undying love; it has not run off to raise a new batch of fireflies. (My computer must be known in the firefly world as Hard to Get.)

I was sitting here thinking Serious Writerly Thoughts* and then I was distracted by this green light winking at me, and now I'm celebrating another milestone that marks the cycle of the seasons. It's firefly time again, time for those faery-like lights on the lawn. It's summer, my favorite time of year.


*Like, "What should I blog about?" and, "Should I have potato chips tonight?"

10 comments:

  1. I've only seen fireflies once or twice, at my sister's house in Illinois. They really are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a firefly. Isn't that sad? But I eat potato chips all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ponder...pondering...

    I love fireflies, and my kids love to run around our overgrown lawn catching them in bottles. I love watching them do just that. It's one of those carefree moments I rarely capture now that they're growing older.

    Hmmm... I think I just caught something in that thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely humor and the fireflies, too. Summer is wonderful. I wallow in it as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The season of warmth and light and vacation!

      Delete
  5. Wow. I've never seen a firefly. That sounds impossibly exotic, though I guess to you it's just something that happens every summer.

    It's hard to imagine summer arriving for you when I'm huddled in the airconditioning trying to keep warm. Instead of signs of summer's arrival we have that sure sign that winter's here: a steaming bowl of soup packed full of veggies and barley for dinner. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They still seem miraculous to me, even though I've seen them for years. Glowing lights on the lawn.

      That soup does sound good!

      Delete