Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Social networking considered

Over at YA Outside the Lines, I posted about planning ahead with social networks. A sample: "By the time I started Twitter, I was able to foresee many of the decisions I would have to make ... I had developed a set of questions that helps me frame a personal online policy for any new network. ..."

I would say I'm also more cautious now about joining new networks. The thought of having to create any more profiles or set any more passwords is daunting. My favorite online hangouts are still blogs, Twitter, and the blue boards. I also like my Goodreads presence, because from the start I planned the very specific way in which I wanted to use it. When it comes to social media, I now know what I like, and I have some idea of how many sites I can really keep up with (hint: it's a lower number than the number of sites I actually joined). Have you found yourself setting policies for yourself, whether formally or informally?

6 comments:

  1. I too set policies for myself on how I use certain sites, as well as the kind of benefits I'd like to get from each site.

    There are specific things will do, and not do on my blog and Twitter. My Facebook is completely personal, and my Goodreads and Pinterest are really to support me and my process.

    I believe more thought must go into building one's author's platform, than just being everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Once upon a time, it was possible to be everywhere, because there weren't as many "everywheres" to be. Now we have to pick and choose!

      Delete
  2. I'm so tempted to join Pinterest, but I'm going to hold out for as along as I can!

    I read your other post and I like the questions you'd posed.

    For me, a consideration I adhere to when I blog or tweet is to be mindful of how my audience might grow and develop if I ever get published. Right now, many of my readers are adults and other writers, but maybe someday, I might have children, teens, and their parents coming to my sites as well. So I just try to be careful about what I share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... I blog as if my expected audiences are already here. :-)

      Delete
  3. Yes, I've set policies for myself. I've recently, over the past two years, dwindled down the places I keep online. I hate Twitter and rarely go on there. I stay off Goodreads at all costs. I do like blogs and I like FB alright so far. I'm thinking of doing Tumblr again, but not sure I want to do that yet. It didn't work out last time. Blogging and FB is pretty much all I do these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important to tailor our strategies to our individual needs.

      Delete