Saturday, May 11, 2013

I think we can conclude that writing isn't easy

"... I'm always complaining about how hard it is to write or how much I suffer when I'm writing--that almost every song I've ever written has been absolute torture. .... I always think there's nothing there ... this is garbage ... and even if it does come out, I think, 'What the hell is it anyway?'"

Reading these words from an interview of John Lennon (as reported in Jonathan Cott's Days That I'll Remember: Spending Time with John Lennon and Yoko Ono), I had to laugh. Lennon had one of the most successful songwriting careers of all time. It's somehow comforting to know that it didn't come any more easily to him than writing comes to the rest of us. That even with legions of adoring fans screaming when he sang and longing to tear the very clothes from his back--he still struggled with self-doubt, still wrestled with the muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment