Thursday, April 18, 2013

Moments from the writing life

"Let me keep my eye off publication & simply write stories that have to be written."--The Journals of Sylvia Plath, 1950-1962, ed. by Karen V. Kukil

"So when I started planning my own book launch, I knew cheese would be a part of it. ...'People are coming to see you,' said my friend Mary. 'No one will care if you run out of cheese.' But ... I was afraid people would care so I bought a lot of cheese. Too much cheese. ..."--Madelyn Rosenberg
Read the whole entry, including what happened to the cheese, here. A delightful mix of the launch-party anxiety we writers know so well, and a beautiful moment. With cheese.

6 comments:

  1. I so get both of these sentiments.

    ANd you should see the size of cakes I have brought for book launches.

    Let's just say that slices would still be in my freezer, if I ever froze cake.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually bring wrapped chocolates. Then I can eat the leftovers for a while afterward. :-)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't thought about it before, but cheese is at the centre of all my entertaining. It's a staple in our house. I guess that says there will be cheese at my book launch, too, if/when that day ever comes. :)

    Thanks for sharing Madelyn's post. I am reminded that adding cheese to our food bank contributions would be a good idea. There is always a need for non-perishables, but cheese would be a welcome and nutritious addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food drives I've been involved in mostly ask for nonperishables, and they won't even take perishable foods. So whenever a place can accommodate perishable foods like cheese and fresh fruits and vegetables, they're probably greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Happy I don't have to think about cheese. Or publication. For now. ^_^

    ReplyDelete