Monday, March 18, 2013

Cleaning out the brain closet

Three random thoughts for the day:

1. "If my father, the scientist, were here ... he would remind me that success is only a matter of statistics ... . Failure only means that you haven't thrown yourself, face-first, against the brick wall of probability enough times."  --Alina Simone, You Must Go and Win.

2. When people say they're glad that the days are now longer because of Daylight Savings Time, I want to argue, "No, they're longer because of the tilt of the earth." Daylight "Savings" doesn't add a single minute to the amount of light we get.

3. On a happier note: The New Jersey Society for Children's Book Writers and Illustrators, 2013 Annual Conference will be June 7-9 this year, in Plainsboro, NJ. The keynoters will be Lauren Oliver and Peter Brown, and there will be a couple dozen agents and editors in attendance. I'm happy to report that I'll be co-leading two sessions on Saturday, June 8, along with Kit Grindstaff: "The Dark Underbelly: Building Dimensions and Conflict Into Your Characters," and, "Battle Your Inner Censor." The registration deadline is April 30.

4 comments:

  1. I love this part of the quote: "...Failure only means that you haven't thrown yourself, face-first, against the brick wall of probability enough times." Wouldn't this make a great bumper sticker? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The daylight saving thing bugs me too. When people talk about "the extra hour of sunlight" I want to reach for the nearest axe and start rampaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marina--I describe myself as "incurably cranky" about DST!

      Delete