Monday, February 18, 2013

Oh, this place. I remember this place.

Here's a quotation from Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird that has been helpful to me:
"Very few writers really know what they are doing until they've done it. Nor do they go about their business feeling dewy and thrilled. They do not type a few stiff warm-up sentences and then find themselves bounding along like huskies across the snow."

The fact is that sometimes I'm dewy and thrilled, and sometimes I type like a husky bounding across the snow. Those moments fool me into thinking that now I've got this thing all figured out; now and forever, enchanting words will pour from my fingers! So when the dew dries up and my husky comes upon a six-foot wall of ice, it catches me off guard. Every time. Did I learn nothing from Wile E. Coyote*?

And so I also find this quotation (also from Bird by Bird) encouraging:
"Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts."


*obligatory highbrow cultural reference

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps terrible second, third, fourth, fifth, etc...efforts too, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you figure it out, let me know. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far what I've figured out is that I don't have it all figured out.

      Delete