Sunday, November 4, 2012

Persistence

At Writer Unboxed, Lydia Sharp wrote a beautiful post the other day about weathering the storms of the unpredictable writing life, including such lines as, "I lost my sanity long ago. Only the craziest of us have stuck it out." Many of us have experienced this: "You’ve had success in the past (that you will never take for granted), and this tricks you into believing that you should be further along your path than you really are." So often, our suffering is driven by the gap between reality and our expectations.

And, like Lydia, I can remember that some of my greatest writing and publishing moments came close on the heels of some of the worst ones. Just when it seemed as if I would never fix that plot problem, or get an offer for that story, or find the right ending ... I did. My best moments have been coated in the sweat of hard work and anxiety, rather than sprinkles and fairy dust, but hey, I'll still take 'em.

Writer Joelle Anthony created a lovely door hanger to celebrate the release of her book The Right and the Real. On one side, it has information about her books, and on the other, it says, "Don't bug me, I'm reading!" above a photo of a stack of books. Included in the pictured stack of books is Try Not to Breathe, and for that reason, Joelle was kind enough to send me an extra door hanger to give away.

I could just give out this door hanger at an author event, but I thought it would be nice to give it to a person who is interested enough in my writing to read my blog. I really do appreciate those of you who read and comment here, and help make this a cozy corner of the internet. So, if you would like it, email me at jennifer[at]jenniferhubbard[dot]com, and just tell me briefly why you'd like it. You don't have to be in the US, but you do have to be at least 13 years old. If more than one person wants it, I'll pull a name at random.

Also pictured in the stack of books: Imaginary Girls, Please Ignore Vera Dietz, The Winter Pony, Rose Sees Red, Everneath, and others. You can see what the door hanger looks like here.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like this sometimes, constantly defeated but then there is a ray of hope (like an agent tweeting back that she'd love to see my novel again when I said I was rewriting, after the rewriting feeling impossible for the last few months.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those rays of hope often show up when we're on the verge of throwing in the towel.

      Delete