Friday, November 16, 2012

Dear manuscript

Dear manuscript:

The time has come for both of us to move on.

It's been good. I learned a lot from you. But I need to grow and change. It's not you, it's me.

Well, okay, it's partly you. You did cost me a few tears and a LOT of sweat. But I'm not sorry I knew you. I hope you will go on to make many people happy. In fact, I look forward to the day when you will come back to me, all decked out in a shiny new cover, your margins justified. "You're looking good," I will say, and it won't even be awkward.

I know I'm going to get all caught up in someone new. At first it will be dazzling, thrilling, the way it was when I first knew you. And then the new manuscript will lead me on a long journey full of tedious slogging, wandering in circles, straying into briar patches and swamps. Just like you did! Oh, there will be flowery meadows and breathtaking views, too. Just as there were with you.

You will always be special to me. This isn't really good-bye. It's more like, "See you later."

Sincerely,

Your writer

8 comments:

  1. This post stirred up all kinds of reader excitement in me. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book still has a long journey ahead of it, but fortunately, it now involves less of me and more of my publisher. :-)

      Delete
  2. Aww, this is lovely! Captures all those emotions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. We need those smiles wherever we can find them!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It will be a while, but I look forward to making the introductions!

      Delete