Monday, November 5, 2012

Books of our youth: The Girl with the Silver Eyes

Today's guest post, part of a series about the books that influence us in our younger years, is by Michelle Davidson Argyle. It reminds me of how I, too, wanted special telekinetic powers when I was a teen ... but alas, they never materialized ...

198719

One of the most memorable novels of my childhood is The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts. This book meant a lot to me as a kid, mainly because it’s about a girl who doesn’t feel like she fits in. I never felt like I fit in.

Katie, the main character, has silver eyes and can move things just by thinking about them. I realized, after reading the book about twenty times, that Katie probably would have felt like an outcast even if it weren’t for her strange silver eyes. I think this is one of the first novels that stuck it into my head how effective it is to give characters physical flaws that can mirror inward flaws. These days, you see this all over the place in young adult novels, but back when I was a kid, this kind of paranormal story wasn’t as “normal” as it is now, so it was exciting and new. I think kids and young adult readers are still reading this book, so I’m happy it hasn’t been forgotten!


MICHELLE DAVIDSON ARGYLE lives and writes in Utah, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. You can find more of her online at michelledavidsonargyle.com. Her latest book is BONDED:

MWCOVERDESIGN_BONDED_FRONT

BONDED contains a fairy tale continuation (Cinders, based on Cinderella), a fairy tale retelling (Thirds, based on One-Eye, Two-Eyes, Three-Eyes), and a fairy tale prequel (Scales, based on Sleeping Beauty).

2 comments: