Sunday, September 9, 2012

Take two



I wasn't sure how to feel when it was announced that Neal Shusterman's Unwind--which I love and have raved about--is now the first book in a trilogy. I've read that Shusterman originally planned Unwind as a stand-alone, and it's only because the book was so well received, and because there is room for more exploration of that world, that it has become a trilogy.

I have mixed feelings, because when a book is as good as Unwind is, you don't want anyone to mess with that world, to take it in directions that might dilute the power of that original book. (I think we've all seen movie sequels that we would like to forget we ever saw.)

On the other hand, Unwind was so good that the follow-ups might be marvelous. Shusterman has shown me with his Everlost and Antsy books that he knows how to write sequels and series.

What's a reader to do?

The second book, UnWholly, is out now. I'm pretty sure I will read it at some point, despite my reservations. Because what if it's as good as the first one?

How do you feel about stand-alone books getting turned into series?

5 comments:

  1. I'm going to get UnWholly once I get some money.

    However, I forgot to look for it while I was at my local indie bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough one because, technically, I wrote a stand-alone book of which I am now writing the sequel. The thing is, I always knew what happened afterward. I just didn't know readers would care about what happened afterward. I don't know why I thought that, but once I realized they did, I was all over writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I don't mean to imply I'm only writing the sequel for readers. It's that I've never been a sequel fan, so I wasn't keen on writing a sequel, in all honesty. But the more I thought about it, the more appealing it seemed, so despite everything, I decided to at least give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've pointed out an important factor for any follow-up book: is there more to say?

      Delete