Thursday, September 20, 2012

Inside the writer's studio

The scene: a writer's office in which a windstorm may or may not have hit. A Muse is stretched out on the carpet, eating bonbons. A Writer sits at the computer, grimacing at the screen.

Writer: I don't know what to do with this book.

Muse: Whattaya looking at me for?

Writer: I appreciate the inspiration you give me, but it would really be better if you could give me a full book's worth of inspiration, not half a book's worth. Nobody buys half a book.

Muse: They could! Wouldn't that be a great idea? We could call them "demi-novels." They would be great beginnings, and then they would suddenly crash to a halt without wrapping up.

Writer: I don't see much of a market for that.

Muse: Too bad, because I could come up with LOADS of them!

Writer: Pass the bonbons.

2 comments:

  1. Do you want me to have a talk with your muse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably end up like the conversations Alice had with the various creatures of Wonderland and the Looking-Glass.

      Delete