Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fun with excuses

Bloggers often return from a hiatus with explanations and apologies, the most common being, "I was so busy;" the second most common being, "I didn't know what to say." Even though I believe bloggers don't owe anyone explanations (unless they're blogging for paying subscribers), I thought it might be useful, or at least amusing, to compile a handy-dandy list of ready-made excuses. You're welcome!

--I've been fighting crime. Also, I never should've picked a cape that's "dry clean only."
--I've been creating new recipes to use up bread heels and carrot tops.
--I've been prying ink out of the closed letters on my typewriter.  Oops, that one's obsolete.
--I have been training my cat to use the vacuum cleaner. I think he's almost got it.
--I've been discovering the meaning of life. I wish I could tell you what it was, but--I KNEW I should've written it down!
--I've been grooming my toenails.
--I just got back from an expedition to search for the lost continent of Atlantis.

Feel free to use any of these, or add your own.

On a side note, I'll mention two blog interviews I've done recently: At Read is the New Black, where I discuss some of the research that went into my books, as well as New England's iconic Mount Tom; and at We Have Words, where the Beatles and The Breakfast Club make cameo appearances.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely excuses. I really liked the one about fighting crime.

    How about, "I've been teaching my kid to type on my old typewriter from college. I had to explain why there wasn't a print button."

    I've always wondered what the end pieces of bread loaves were called. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you also have to explain why a bell rings at the end of every line?

    Glad to provide enlightenment re bread heels. Next up: the plastic thingie on the end of a shoelace is called an aglet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious! I thought I was following your blog already, but apparently not. Must remedy this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to invent a program that will automatically write intelligent and meaningful blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for mentioning my blog, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete