Sunday, August 5, 2012

Expect the unexpected

The other day, I was walking past a bus stop. A woman stood there, waiting for a bus. And then she took out a bottle of soap-bubble mix and blew some bubbles.

Naturally, my writer's mind started wondering how I could work this into a story. But part of me just loves it for the vignette that it is.

Books delight me when they do this, also. I'll be reading along, thinking I know exactly where the story is going. Woman at a bus stop, okay, nothing unusual there. Then she starts blowing soap bubbles, and I'm enchanted. In a story, she has to have a reason to blow bubbles, and it has to mean something. It can't just be random. But it's refreshing. If your characters are all just standing around waiting for buses, can you find a way to have them blow bubbles?

6 comments: