Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Writers' friends

In some ways, writing is a solitary endeavor. But that solitary dream is often built on the support of understanding families and mentors. And, of course, friends like these:

The one who shows up to your book event even when it is two hours from her house and a rainstorm keeps everyone else away, and stands loyally beside your signing table all night. She also tells the one customer who enters the store that your book will change his life--and not in a scary way, but in a friendly way that makes him buy the book and take extra bookmarks.

The one who listens to your 45000th lament that you have no talent, you don't know what you are going to do with these characters, and you have been thinking of becoming an electrician anyway.

The one who tells you that sour reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about.

The one who reminds you of that one writing tip you need to hear at the moment you need to hear it.

The one who makes you talk about stuff when you don't really want to talk about it, but you need to.

The one who doesn't make you talk about stuff when you need to forget about it for a while.

The one who calls when she finishes reading your book and tells you it made her cry. In a good way.

The one who admits, "Yeah, me, too," when you tell her you sometimes feel like an impostor who has no business writing books, and you realize that since she's such a good writer, this feeling is perhaps not entirely reliable.

The one who brings chocolate.

The one who cheers your good news.

The one who doesn't complain about not hearing from you while you are in a revision cave.

The one who doesn't complain about getting a flurry of email when you are in a writing crisis.

The one who makes you laugh.


Thank goodness for them all!

14 comments:

  1. I used to write without knowing anyone else who was on the same track as I was. After making the effort to get to know more writers, friendships formed, and I realize how much more enriched my life has become. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Maybe that's why I treasure them so much now.

      Delete
  2. :) My mother is often my go-to vent person, though I'm pretty sure she just tunes me out and lets me rant most of the time, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person who will let us vent is precious. ;-)

      Delete
  3. "The one who reminds you of that one writing tip you need to hear at the moment you need to hear it." - This is you to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you!
      And thank you for coming to live events, as well as writing your blog!

      Delete
  4. This is so sweet, and it sounds like you have some amazing friends! I know I certainly couldn't do this without support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this post opened a flood of memories of perfect words delivered at the right time by priceless writer friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. One of my friends often tells me, "It takes as long as it takes," which is now a sort of mantra for me!

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, yes! My writer friends are my heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have good people in your corner! :-)

      Delete