Monday, March 5, 2012

This is my brain on revisions

I was doing some internet research on mosquitoes, including their lifespan, and one of the search terms the search engine suggested to me was, "mosquito lifestyle."

It doesn't take a huge joke to amuse me, or to keep amusing me. Especially now, at the end of a big revision that has sucked up quite a few brain cells. I have had several chuckles out of "mosquito lifestyle" in the past 24 hours. Heck, I don't think the existence I've cobbled together for myself, beautiful as it is, qualifies as a "lifestyle." But insects get to have a lifestyle? Does it involve sports cars, I wonder? Sunglasses? Ascots? I'll bet it involves ascots.

You can see that the once-upon-a-time TV show "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" has forever influenced my perception of the word "lifestyle." Not that I ever really watched the show. The title told me enough: rich and famous people don't just have lives, they have lifestyles.

Such is the way a writer's brain works. I started with wanting to know how long mosquitoes live (they tend to die off when the temperature drops consistently below 50 degrees, just in case you've been waiting since my first paragraph for that big reveal). And I ended up thinking about ascots.

My point today is that, as much as writers complain about the downsides of writing--the energy required, the uncertainty, the self-doubt--sometimes an imagination is just a fun thing to have.

4 comments: